Friday, January 16, 2015

a chambray a day...

Friday, January 16, 2015
...keeps the doctors away. At least, I think that's how that saying goes. 

I'm in love with this nifty chambray shirt from J.Crew that I got for Christmas. I'm in love with the pants I got on a super sale (marked down from $90 to $20!). And apparently I'm also in love with dressing like a twenty something year old? I'd say that for the past five or so years I've constantly been mistaken for being older that I actually am. I remember that when I was in 8th grade someone thought I was 19 and I once had some one ask me what I was majoring in in college. Trust me, they were very shocked when I replied that I was only a mere 14 year old freshmen in high school. Back then when all I wore were plain t-shirts from H&M and jeans, it didn't make any sense to me that I could appear significantly older then I actually was. Now that I'm teetering on the edge of young adulthood, it's not as shocking when someone assumes that I'm in my early twenties, or when someone thinks that my brother, who is nine years my senior and sometimes mistaken for a 30+, and I are twins (true story, y'all). 

When the situation calls for it, I like to think that I can speak pretty eloquently for a 17 year old and that I can conduct myself in a mature manner, but I think that the real reason why people have difficulty pinning down my age is because of how I dress. Now, I obviously don't dress like (or look like) and grandmother or something, but almost all of the bloggers I follow are in their 20s-30s and that's where I grab a lot of my inspiration from. It's almost like i'm a little kid playing dress up in their mom's clothes, except I'm a teenager and these are my own clothes... Really, the way I see it, I'm just stocking up my post-high school/college wardrobe. Always gotta be one step ahead.
top: j.crew >> cardigan: gap outlet >> pants: j.crew >> shoes: h&m >>necklace: forever 21 >> sunglasses: j.crew factory

9 comments :

  1. chambray for the win!! you're definitely a step (or ten) ahead in the style department compared to most high school students hehe! always looking so put together and beautiful!! p.s. cute necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. obsessed with the pants. can you tell me what the back zipper is like? that's my only concern, as i do have some junk in the trunk.


    you're the cutest 17-going-on-27 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how classic this combination is! I have a similar pair of J. Crew pants in navy that I will definitely have to put back into rotation after seeing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never known how to style chambray... Leggings? More Denim? But I really love the way you styled this outfit. The necklace definitely pulls everything together!

    (x)

    ReplyDelete
  5. goodness you are adorable. i love this outfit. you are so teensy and cute girly. i have quite the opposite problem with my age in that everyone thinks i'm much younger. i think its getting less bad then it was before. i went back to my highschool to visit my brother and apparently all his friends thought i was 18. i was also at eating out and some man sat next to us and asked if i was 18, he then thought i was actually 16. i'm 24... you win some you lose some haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These pants also have a snap button hidden in the back, so that may help keep the junk in the trunk, but because my trunk is literally empty, I'd say that you should try these on in store yourself! (plus they were cheaper in store than online)

    ReplyDelete
  7. EVERYTHING. Chambray goes with everything! I think as long as there's enough contrast between your shirt and pants, then you should be fine!

    ReplyDelete

old blog | BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio