Monday, June 30, 2014

DIY J.Crew Banner

Monday, June 30, 2014
A few months ago I posted this picture on my instagram of a little diy I did for my room. I've always been in love with nautical flags, and all the fun prints and patterns in the j.crew catalogs were begging to be used for something. This diy is super simple and easy to make! To start off you'll need a magazine, some thread or twine, glue, an x-acto knife or scissors, and a cardboard template. I made my template 9cm on each side, but feel free to make it whatever size you want.
Try to pick pages that have a mix of colors and patterns. J.crew has a ton of pages like the one on the left in each of their catalogs.
Using your template and x-acto knife, begin to cut out triangles from the pages. This way is a bit more time consuming, but you have more control over what print each triangle gets.



Alternatively, you can remove several pages with bright colors and prints, staple them together, trace the triangles and cut them out. This is much faster, but you might end up with some triangles that are all solid colors, have too much text on them etc.



Once you have all your triangles cut out (i think I cut around 24 or so), place a small strip of glue on the top border, and place the thread on the wet glue. I used about 1.5 inch spacing between each triangle, but feel free to experiment with different sizes! The glue doesn't take too long to dry, but I find that I like working on the floor because I can glue them all at once and I don't have to glue them in sections and wait for each section to dry before moving on.

The bunting is super light, so all you need is some tape to hold it up! This is one of my favorite things I've made because it perks up my entire room. If you decide to make this, make sure to post a pic and tag me on instagram! I'd love to see y'alls take on this simple diy.

7 comments :

  1. holy cannoli i am OBSESSED WITH THIS. BEST DIY ON THE INTERNET! i knew i'd been hanging onto all of those j.crew lookbooks for a reason! will be doing this asap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy smokes, GIRL YOU ARE SO CREATIVE IT'S CRAZY. I adorrrrrre nautical flags...gahhh. I gotta make this. It's gonna happen. Such an adorable idea..

    ReplyDelete
  3. btw, I love the new design on your blog, and your side-bar profile picture-- you're so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! Can't wait to see how yours turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so cute. =) I love this. As a person who regularly chops up my fashion mags, I never thought to make banners. Doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Katie! *kissy face emoji* Post pics of how your banner turns out!

    ReplyDelete

old blog | BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio