Friday, February 8, 2013

Being Small Sucks.

Friday, February 8, 2013
I'm tiny. Well not really, but I am, but I'm kinda not. Sigh. Let's start over.

I'm five-foot-four which is about average height. Not too tall but not exactly short either, just average. The fact that I weigh 98 pounds means I'm skinny, or slim, or whatever you want to call it. I'm the girl who will order an entire medium pizza from Domino's and polish it off by herself in one sitting; or the girl who can eat a whole burrito from Chipotle without spilling a single grain of rice (That's what I like to call talent ladies and gentlemen.) Some might see this as a blessing, but in reality it's not, at least when it come to clothes shopping. In a perfect world, every single clothing piece would be made just for me. It would hug every curve (or lack of), drape precisely how I wanted it to, show the right amount of skin, I could go on forever. Sadly, we do not live in a perfect world and I am forced to go buy my clothes from stores which is where all the problems start.
see the awkward bunching at the waist on this "xs" dress?

Like most people, I can't afford to have a wardrobe full of J. Crew, Madewell, and ZARA. So like most people, I tend to shop at places like Forever 21 and H&M. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Forever 21 or H&M, they have tons of items for reasonable prices. Sure the quality isn't always top notch but, it's doable. My main problem with most stores is the sizing.

If I walk into Walmart, pick up a shirt in a size small and try it on there's a good chance that it will be at least 2 sizes too big. Even my size 2 burgundy pants from H&M are a bit too loose. Why is this? Well I'd like to introduce this little thing called size inflation. As our waistlines have gone up, sizes have gone down, which makes it ten times harder for smaller girls like me; It doesn't help that I have a body of an 11 year old boy before puberty.

In the right hand corner, we have heavyweight champion size inflation, and in the left hand corner we have newcomer, scrawny little me.

It's a battle I'll never win.

So until I become wildly successful and can afford a closet of J. Crew, I'll just have to deal with I can get and learn how to alter items. Which is always a good skill to have.

2 comments :

  1. giiirl this was my life until literally a year ago. except for my boobs, of course. it definitely depends on where i'm shopping though because while i'm finally a 3 at places like AE and F21, i'm still barely a 0 at jcrew, banana, and even target. i hate having to try things on and not knowing what size to take in! you've got a cute little frame and learning to take stuff in will be a godsend, but don't sweat it too much!
    xo nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well i have a little trick called shopping in the children's section, which may sound ridiculous at first, but totally works (at least for basics) and slices a sizable portion off the price :p

    ReplyDelete

old blog | BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio