Friday, March 22, 2013

DIY Shoe Upgrade

Friday, March 22, 2013
So I've had these pair of black flats sitting in my closet for over two years. I've never actually worn them because of their unappealing looks. The black trim blended in to much with the shoe and reminded me of something someone much, much older would wear. I saw this tutorial on how to paint leather, and decided to paint the trim white for some much needed contrast.
 I started off by cleaning off the shoe with some rubbing alcohol. In her post, she said that you should sand down the leather first. I forgot to do this but it didn't affect the look too much. They probably would have looked nicer if I did...
I diluted my paint so that it had a thinner consistency but so that it was still opaque. I had to do less coats and it filled in any cracks or unevenness on the shoes.
Then I started painting! I probably did around 2-3 coats.
Hardest part of this DIY? Trying to take "candid" picture of yourself painting...especially when your camera is on manual focus without you knowing and your timer goes off in like 3 seconds... the photography struggle.
And that's it! You've got yourself a sweet "new" pair of flats! I would recommend using a sealant or gloss over it to help prevent it from chipping. Although they look much better, I'm not sure if I will get much wear out of them so they might end up at a goodwill... but at least I know how to paint leather now! I think I might try to go thrift some bags and have some fun experimenting with colorblocking. I hope this tutorial helped someone!




2 comments :

  1. I love how different they look afterwards! Great DIY, thanks for posting. I'll have to try it myself!
    Liz
    liz-makes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

old blog | BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio