HAPPY NEW YEAR FRIENDS! I hope y'all had a smashing time ringing in the new year! I've never been the one to do much for the New Year, but I did really enjoy putting together this post and reflecting on 2015. So much has happened and so much as changed and I'm just really grateful to be where I'm at now. I always make sure to remember that not everyone made it to today and any day that I am here, living and breathing, surrounded by people who I love and who love me, I should be grateful. I'm grateful for making it out of 2015 and I'm even more grateful to be facing 2016!
LIFE
Big things happened this year. I graduated high school and said goodbye to my school of 13 years, moved out of my childhood home, oh and then I moved to NEW YORK CITY. So crazy. I honestly don’t know how this is my life. I think it weird how quickly and easily we can adapt to these huge and massive changes in our lives. I remember that I almost passed out at the airport in Nashville when I was moving to New York because I was so anxious that I couldn’t eat and I hadn’t been eating much the days leading up to my move. I actually had to force myself to get something to eat at the airport and even then I could only manage a few bites, that’s how nervous I was. And now, just a few months later I’m going about my day walking around new york doing my own thing without batting an eye. I admire how I was able to sum up the courage to take on the craziness that is New York, but when you’re truely meant to be somewhere, you just find a way to suck it up and make it happen.
ACADEMIC
Y’all. College is hard. In retrospect, it really wasn’t that bad, but I’m not taking classes I love yet so it was hard to get jazzed about going to class and doing my work. One thing that I do think is surprising is how much I loved my english class. Majority of the schools at NYU require that you take a class called Writing The Essay and it seemed from my research and questioning of upper classmen that that was the worst class ever created. It also didn’t help that I had never really been a fan of english ever, so I didn’t have very high expectations. I got lucky and had an awesome professor and some pretty cool classmates (there were only 14 people in my class) so that made the experience that much smoother. I also wrote some of my best essays in that class and throrughly enjoyed what I was writing about which is how I feel all writing classes should make you feel. I also had a mini crisis when I came back from thanksgiving break about what I want to major in and do with my life. I haven't officially declared my major yet, but at the moment I am pursuing marketing but am constantly considering transferring to NYU's school of individualized study to do fashion marketing and interior design. I don't think I can really make a decision after only one semester, but that's something that I really have to think about as the year moves forward.
SOCIAL
One of my biggest fears about going to college was that I wouldn’t make friends. I grew up with most of my friends from school and I’ve never been in such a large environment before and to top it all off I struggle to relate to people my age because I basically act like I’m 45 years old. I get along well with my roommates which is great, I have a few friends who live in my dorm, made a few friends in my classes and the business school, and I got a little friend group going on. I really don’t think I’ve had this many friends in my life if I’m being honest. I’m grateful for all the friends I’ve made so far but if I’m being 100% honest, which is what I strive to be here on the blog, I don’t think I’ve truely found my group yet, which is a little bit dissapointing when I look around and see so many people with really solid friendships, but that’s kinda expected from me. Sometimes I’m just so focused on my own thing that it takes a lot for me to be focused on another person. I’m just really picky when it comes to people which sounds totally selfish and shallow but I think you’re allowed to be picky when it comes to who you want to surround yourself with and who you want to be able to depend on. Either way I still have plenty of time to meet new people and grow relationships.
STYLE
I feel like this year was the year I really started to refine my style. It didn’t change much, I don’t think but I got pickier about the items I bought and where I shop, I found some new pieces and styles that feel like me and are quickly becoming staples in my wardrobe and my proudest moment of all I think I’m one step closer to reaching J.Crew model status, my ultimate goal in life. I’m hoping that in 2016 I can edit my wardrobe to be filled more with things I love rather than things I tolerate and that I have the patience and motivation to save up for a few big ticket items that I think would be valuable in my closet (hello regent blazer!).
Hopefully 2015 was a grand ol time for you! I'd love to hear how your year went in the comments below!





No comments :
Post a Comment